Three dead in protests against woman who died due to poorly placed burqa

Three people died in Iranian Kurdistan during protests over the death of a young woman after she was arrested by morality police, the governor of the province announced on Tuesday, as quoted by the Fars news agency.

Governor Ismail Zarei Kusha spoke of the three “suspicious” deaths and a “plot hatched by the enemy”, confirming that one of the victims was killed by a different type of weapon than those used by Iranian security forces. Protests erupted in Tehran and Iranian Kurdistan on Sunday following the announcement on Friday of the death of Mahsa Amini, originally from the region.

The 22-year-old Iranian woman was in a coma after being arrested by a police unit accused of flouting the Islamic Republic’s strict dress code for women, specifically wearing the veil in public.

Amini died on Friday, three days after being admitted to hospital after being arrested by the police. According to Iranian authorities, the girl died of natural causes, but according to information released by the Office of the High Commissioner for Activists and Human Rights, she was violently beaten in the head and against a police vehicle.

Read more: Officials lose in distance: Peña, with kilometer advantage over Wiens

The United Nations and human rights groups on Tuesday spoke out against the violent crackdown on protests in Iran after the death of a young woman detained by morality police. Mahsa Amini, 22, died on Friday three days after being hospitalized after being arrested by police for violating Iran’s strict dress code for women, particularly veils.

According to Iranian authorities, the girl died of natural causes, but according to information released by the Office of the High Commissioner for Activists and Human Rights, she was violently beaten on the head and crushed against a police vehicle.

His death sparked protests in the capital, Tehran, but the most violent clashes occurred in the Iranian Kurdistan province, where Amini was originally from. Human rights activists said four protesters were killed in the clashes, and dozens were injured and detained.

Testimony and videos circulating on social media “suggest that authorities used tear gas to disperse protesters and apparently used lethal force in Kurdistan province,” said New York-based NGO Human Rights Watch.

In Geneva, Nada Al Nasheef, the acting High Commissioner for Human Rights of the United Nations, expressed concern today (Tuesday) over the death in detention of Mahsa Amini and the violent response of Iranian security forces to the protests that followed.

“The tragic death of Mahsa Amini and the allegations of torture and ill-treatment must be investigated quickly, impartially and effectively (…)” Al Nasheef added. According to Raveena Shamdasani, spokeswoman for the High Commissioner’s office, “according to some reports” between two and five people were killed during the demonstration against the girl’s death.

Also Read: Berta Rojas Receives Two Latin Grammy Nominations

He asserted that the police had “fired live ammunition” and used tear gas. The Norway-based Kurdish human rights group Hengav said a total of three deaths were confirmed in Kurdistan province, in the cities of Divandereh, Sakkez and Dehglan.

This left 221 people injured and 250 detained in the same region, where a general strike was called on Monday. Images released on social networks showed heavy clashes, particularly in the town of Diwandreh, between protesters and security forces, and gunshots could be heard.

Amini’s death has sparked international outrage, and US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken himself on Monday “called on the Iranian government to end its systematic persecution of women and allow peaceful protests.” The veil has been compulsory in public in Iran since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, which ended the Shah’s rule.

Monitoring that these norms are met falls to a special police unit, known as the “morality police”, which has the power to arrest women who do not respect the dress code, although they are usually released with a warning.

In an unusual move, an Iranian parliamentarian criticized the special unit, whose actions are controversial. MP Jalal Rashidi Koochi told ISNA news agency, “Gasht-Ershad (Moral Patrol) does not achieve any results except to harm the country.” “Do the people who are led by this unit to these +clarification sessions regain consciousness and repent when they leave?”, asks the MLA.

Source: AFP.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.